JOB OPPORTUNITY: HEAD COACH
Position: Galway SC Head Coach
Application Closing Date: 31st December 2019
Salary/Scale: Will be determined based on coaching qualification and experience of
the successful candidate.
Hours per week: Full Time
Reports to: Galway Swimming Club Committee
Galway Swimming Club is a dynamic and progressive swimming club with a long tradition in the delivery of competitive swimming both in Connacht and Ireland. The club presently has up to 160 swimmers participating at club, regional, national and international levels.
Galway SC is looking to recruit a Head Coach to join the present coaching team to lead the design and delivery of the Galway SC program.
The role will commence in March 2019 and the successful candidate will work closely with the present GSC Head Coach, undertaking duties as Assistant Head Coach until appointed Head Coach on 1st August 2020. He / She will be responsible for the seasonal planning and delivery of coaching to swimmers competing at both regional and national level following the LTAD competitive pathway model which is endorsed by both Galway SC and by Swim Ireland.
The successful candidate must demonstrate that they have experience in coaching swimmers to a national standard with a coaching philosophy that is focused on swimmer development and progression, competition success, technical skills and aerobic development and is in line with Galway Swimming Club ethos.
The successful candidate should be a minimum L3 qualified Swim Club Coach, however consideration will be given to candidates with a L2 Coach qualification and over 5 years coaching experience in a similar role. The successful candidate must be an enthusiastic, conscientious individual with a strong work ethic that will ensure progression for all Galway SC swimmers. The ability to competently communicate with coaches, swimmers and parents and lead a coaching team with a shared vision. These will be critical skills required of the successful candidate.
The successful candidate must also have a car and a full driving licence.
Interested candidates are to email their CV’s (with 2 references) to the Galway Swimming Club secretary at email@example.com Closing date for CV’s will be 31st December 2019
The Head Coach position will report to the Galway SC Committee and have the following key roles and responsibilities. Other responsibilities may also be agreed with the GSC Club committee on appointment.
The key responsibilities include:
● The Head Coach will have full autonomy in relation to all coaching matters including training programs, squad moves, competition entries and management of the GSC coaching teams for each squad
● The planning and delivery of the coaching to all age-group swimmers within the Galway SC squad program including monitoring of membership numbers.
● Organise and attend assessment Pathway recruitment sessions in agreement with the GSC Club committee.
● Attend all competitions at both regional and national level in agreement with the GSC Club committee. This attendance to competitions may also extend to International meets and also supporting the Connacht Regional and National squad programs in consultation and agreement with the GSC committee.
● Hold a current Swim Ireland Coaching Licence and attend the required number of education courses, clinics and/or seminars etc. per year in agreement with the GSC Club committee to fulfil their CPD licence requirements.
● Provide leadership to the Galway SC coaching team in striving to support and develop the present coaching staff.
● The Head Coach will be required to organise and chair quarterly coaching meetings and also attend monthly GSC Club committee meetings presenting a coaching report.
● Be prepared and required to cover other squad coaches when needed and available.
● The successful candidate will ensure compliance with all relevant Swim Ireland swimming governance and the NGB’s “Code of Conduct” for coaches.
● The successful candidate will ensure that all Health and Safety guidelines and club policies are complied with whilst representing Galway SC at all times.
● Demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills with Galway SC swimmers, parents and the present Galway SC coaching team.
● The successful candidate will have sufficient experience with, and be required to manage, the following administrative functions including:
Hytek/Meet Manager, Obtain Meet Licence and other necessary Swim Meet requirements.
Competently oversee and run local and regional Swim Meets in line with Swim Ireland guidelines.